The Return of Lorde
The New York Times Magazine | Jonah Weiner
28 minute #longread
I find Lorde as an artist quite interesting. This write-up was beautifully written and reminded me again of how smart Lorde is in the way she approaches her music. I remember reading once about Britney Spears who said that writing pop music was hard –really hard. And while it’s easy and trendy to sometimes make fun of it, there is a real artistry to it, and those who can master it, have done something brilliant with it, they have something special. It stayed with me because I had not really thought much of it –pop is so plentiful, anyone can do it, right? She set me straight. And Lorde gets that too.
Airlines Like United Can Underpay Bumped Passengers Because of a Government Rule
Harvard Business Review | Rafi Mohammede
4 minute #truth
10 phrases that will make you a better leader
Medium | SmartBrief on Leadership | Dan McCarthy
4 minute #solution
The first phrase on the list? Ask, “How can I be a better leader?” —this is one of those simple stop and BE PRESENT type of phrases and it seems so simple it’s easy to gloss over. But when faced with a trying situation, I challenge you to use it because it’s brilliant in making you pause and reflect and I find you can usually come up with an answer pretty quickly. The trick? Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and ask what would they need or want from you? This phrase is one of my favorites to use as a parent. When your child is going wild and you’re about to lose it yourself, ask how you can be a better parent. I know it instantly calms me…because it’s not really about me at all. It’s always about how you can be there for them.
What to expect when you’re done expecting: visualizing the data of parenting
Medium | freeCodeCamp | Henrik Lindberg
6 minute #reminder
Another parenting one, forgive me, I’m a working mother to a toddler and sometimes it’s all consuming! And while yes, yes, I’m always tired, I try really hard to remember that I used to say I was always tired even before I have kids. My child sleeps through the night…it’s not about restful sleep (or at least, it’s not all about that), it’s about the go-go-go of life. And when I fret about not having time time I desire for hobbies or personal passions, it is too easy to fall into the trap of thinking of if I wasn’t a parent I could get all of these done. But let’s be real, I used to watch a lot of television.
Logan Square Now Cocktail Bar Capital Of Chicago, But Has It Gone Too Far?
DNAinfo | Mina Bloom
7 minute #WontYouBeMyNeighbor
I love my neighborhood here in Logan Square and the development these last few years has been crazy. It feels like every time I walk down the street I see something new popping up and yes, they do tend to be bars. However, as the article points out, there’s plenty of space if you come willing to do your own thing.
In case you missed it
Her Curator (@hercurator) | Twitter
- “The End of the Death Row Last Meal?” by @iammollymchugh
- “The Basic Formula For Every Shocking Russia/Trump Revelation” by @mtracey
- Animated graph shows how USA has become more polarized in last 20 years @BoingBoing #politics https://t.co/X0RZnAhBOy
- RT: @rachel lotsa people saying ED is a health issue or viagra helps w/ heart problems. guess what? birth control helps with multiple health issues too!
- Read the AMA letter here: https://t.co/PRLFiMOlN6 #AHCA #HealthCareReform
- Has all the feels: “After Beating Cancer, Boy Gets Big Surprise From FBI, Make-A-Wish” http://dnain.fo/2nmwDJv @bauerjournalism @MakeAWish
- Even democrats didn’t mess with precedent when it came to the Supreme Court. Isn’t the whole point to find some common ground? #disappointed
- An entrancing #longread: The Return of Lorde https://nyti.ms/2oohKHk @jonahweiner @NYTmag #music
Just for fun I thought I would share a random song each week that I stumbled upon.